the NYSE Index has a TON of stocks in it and is a very good gauge of the overall health of the market. As you can see there is still a much bigger target (almost perfect – an AB-CD and 1.618 extension on top of each other ON A MONTHLY) out there in/around 14217. But note the blue measured moves … they have been very consistent in causing resistance … so, we might be in for another bigger dump if you look at the daily.
strength should get this puppy moving up to the target mentioned above around the 14,200’s so watch this index closely in the coming days and weeks.
have a great LABOR DAY weekend and enjoy your life …
if you do a search for JPM on this site you’ll see it’s pretty much ‘paused’ at every PATTERN out there but ultimately broke thru and kept going higher w/ strength. Good on em’!
we are again at a PATTERN completing. Top of a circle, 1.618 price projection from the all time low, 2.71828 (natural log (found all over the Great Pyramid OBTW)) extension and some Adams pitch fork trend line stuff ..
so in the world I live in that’s the reason we have stopped in/around the 118 level.
note, when working w/ geometry look at how the market reacted to your work .. the dashed purple circles show how the ‘arc’ was support and when it hit 3 o’clock on the circle it exploded .. this just gives you credence that the arc is being respected.
note on the Adams Pitch fork that the ‘median’ line was responsible for resistance and support along the way up into these levels.
so what’s this all mean? lot’s of math in/around 118 so resistance is expected. is it a top or the top – I have no idea but I’d be watching carefully …
11/20/2018 – so, this ratio is running the show right now. if you read the below NONE of this should be a surprise as the PATTERNS worked and the XLP/QQQ buy pattern has taken off, causing a risk off mindset and the NAZZIE to get blasted. That being said, all is not lost. While I do think we have some more carnage to come, ultimately the ratio is going to smack right into a very strong trend line and the technical analysis concept of POLARITY should cause support or THE bottom for a GREAT BUY. The chart below should give you and idea of why the area labeled ‘resistance’ should offer strong support for the institutions and offer a great BUY of the Q’s and technology.
let me know if you have any questions.
note the ratio .. we have a pretty nice bullish engulfing pattern on the ratio which is precursor to potentially further weakness. If looking to BUY the Q’s would definitely wait for a nice sell pattern or overhead resistance to be hit before stepping in …certainly appears to have some room to run.
here’s the QQQ on a daily time frame w/ the target zone denoted. sure looks like another wave of selling should be starting to complete a 5 waves sequence. Is that A or 1 … if A, then a rally should occur followed by more selling and then a BUY. If 1 then we have, potentially, a lot more downside to come.
I do not know or care which it is ….1 or A. Just looking for a pattern.
Also, doing a monthly log below to look for key trend line support or breaks.
In July, we noticed this pattern completing. Yes, we went 3 points thru but the RATIO held and popped big time today. Watch the median line shown below on the XLP/QQQ and see if price goes thru the line then the sell off could continue.
so, the NASDAQ looks unstoppable … we have sell patterns on the DOW, the S&P, the NYSE Index but the NASDAQ is moving into new territory and it sure looks like finishing/close to finishing a 5 wave sequence. So, why not do the XLP / NASDAQ? Honestly, I don’t know why I haven’t done this one before. I’ve always looked at the NYSE Index or the S&P versus the XLP. One would think that the high flyer would show tendencies to pivot UP or DOWN based on risk on/off mindset by the institutions, right?
so, here’s the XLP / NASDAQ and it paints a nice picture.
- note the AB=Cd pattern that is completing and showing a bullish hammer as of this past Friday’s close.
- RSI – been pegged at the lowest levels since 2000 and has finally showed some bullish divergence.
- we are BELOW the .786 retracement BUT we are not at new all time lows (vice the NASDAQ that is all all time highs)
- there is another level for targets lower (.886 retracement and 1.618 extension) if this level gives away …
- XLP/NASDA w/ the NASDAQ overlaid and INVERTED
- NOTE – EVERY major pivot higher/lower has been at a pivot of this ratio .
Folks … don’t get complacent as there is a very large probability that the next move – across the board – is down.
Just calling it like I see it …
Happy Father’s Day!
XLP / S&P 500 – support here is justified and, perhaps, a signal of volatility to come? UPDATED 11/04/2018
11/04/2018 – back on June 09, 2018 we saw this – almost – perfect pattern hit support. it’s the ratio of XLP / S&P 500 – we use ratio analysis to look for ‘risk on’ or ‘risk off’ mindset from the big dudes. in times of ‘risk on’ the ratio will go down as the big dudes / dudettes are not in defensive names (like staples) and when the ‘risk off’ mindset is present then the ratio will go up. i.e. the XLP is ‘outperforming’ from a relative strength perspective. the ratio completed a harmonic BUY pattern back in June and it took another 4 months before the market topped. one could conceivably say the rotation occurred in the summer. I’m posting the updated chart below … try and follow the bouncing ball of CONFIRMING indicators that the ratio was bottoming ….
where are we now? as you can see on the daily below we were DEFINITELY being warned w/ another near perfect BUY pattern on the ratio 10/04/2018. it exploded higher … I see a little more consolidation/ corrective form in the ratio an then another move higher to complete an inner 5 wave sequence. that’s when the ‘real’ pattern emerges. I DO NOT KNOW, yet, if this is an Elliott A-B-C corrective move (bullish for stocks) or a 1,2,3,4,5 wave sequence that foreshadows the ratio going higher (bearish for stocks) … were just going to have to chill and wait to see what unfolds.
here’s the ratio ‘dates’ on top of the S&P 500 cash. again, somewhat in no mans land as we wait for the next BUY or SELL pattern to emerge. But, in the end, believe the ratio gave us ample time to position our portfolios accordingly – either the bear or bull you are. I’m neither … just a pattern recognition dude using some crayons to draw cool pictures and patterns.
there is a different look/feel to the XLP / SPX versus the XLP / NYA. If you look at the chart below, you’ll see we did a pretty tight consolidation from 2011-2016 in the XLP / SPX. It’s a ‘perfect’ sell pattern at “C” that complete and then the ratio fell out of the sky.
i’m curious at the lack of follow thru w/ regards to the S&P 500 (not making new highs like Russell, NASDAQ, etc) so I decided to take a look at this ratio instead of NYSE as the denominator.
as you can see we have some key observations:
- take the time to study ‘past’ retracements as ‘sometimes’ the same ratio/vibration (remember that’s all it is – vibration) is present. In this case we have the .707 retracement level present at the high and now here at the lows
- Square Root of 2= 1.4142
- 1/1.4142 = .707
- the harmonic 1.27 is present in that 1.27*AB = CD
- square root = 1.27
- note the blue measured move arrow from the XLP inception in 1998 is present in this correction
- the MONTHLY RSI is at the lowest level since the inception of the XLP and this ratio of XLP/SPX
- THE TIME OF THE CORRECTIVE MOVES OF THE RATIO ARE EQUAL
what am i trying to get at? nothing more than I’m very cautious of any further up move in the markets (for now) .. .historically, when the XLP starts to perform it signals a ‘risk off mindset’ of the big institutions and volatility starts to rise …
while I DO NOT think the bull market is over by any stretch, I do think that another move lower is in tune (note the music reference :)) w/ the form, balance and proportion we are used to seeing from a corrective nature.
11/10/2018 – overall, our key 75-76 level was hit and has caused the sell off. take a look at the charts below …
some critical developments:
- the XLE/NYSE Index ratio has hit a perfect BUY PATTERN so expecting the energy complex to bounce/hold/consolidate as this level holds. IF IT FAILS then the sell off will be pretty immense. So watch t his level.
- on the Crude, anytime you have a .382 and .618 (.382+.618 = 1) present that should act as important S or R. In this case SUPPORT. we have some polarity present also so ‘expect’ a bounce in Crude … will update accordingly.
- also, note the correlation between crude and HYG. (High Yield Bond ETF) … perhaps the carnage in Crude will stop at support levels indicated which ‘should’ keep HYG at bay (if the correlation is still holding) but if Crude busts thru then that support cliff for HYG should give away and then it will get very interesting
- also, put the oldie but goodie of the HIGH on crude on my birthday and the subsequent low to show some geometry at work and the fact that long term charts can certainly help .. .a famous quote “there is nothing new under the sun.”
thanks reading …. B
06/03/2018 – sorry that i didn’t send out the charts below via my blog .. honestly, I think I just forgot and then went on some travel …big thing here is we hit an important high a week or so ago based on TIME so this could be a very important top in crude.
honestly not sure if we have completed a 4 ( if YES we have BIG MOVE COMING lower) or an end to a bullish bounce and we are correcting to buy ..
either way, this should do it for crude for a while at least. will be watching and, again, apologize for not blogging earlier.
as an FYI, the charts are real time they were just sent out via email …
let me know if you have any questions.
this is the update as of 06/001/2018: