Cliff Notes: Palladium converging into to major resistance. This is important because it’s a nice little commodity to watch w/ regard to the NASDAQ and AAPL. In order to build the pattern we are going to to go step by step this morning into “why” Friday’s high was important from a PATTERN perspective.
1. First, here’s WEEKLY charts of 1) NASDAQ and Palladium and 2) AAPL and Palladium.
- notice that when palladium broke out of the consolidating triangle, AAPL took off.
- of late there has been a lead/lag relationship at times BUT the overall directional pivot is clear. As Palladium goes, so does NASDAQ and AAPL.
2. When constructing a PATTERN there are three things we do — PROJECT / EXTEND/ RETRACE. In order to keep this post brief I’ll do the basic stuff …
- PROJECT: note in the two charts below we have 2 “basic” projections coming into the same area. That warns of resistance.
- EXTEND: note, we used the middle point at 593 for the extension pattern. Also, note 1.68179 nd 1.732 are used. musical note and the square root of 3 …
- RETRACE: from the all time high we have a .786 retracement. This is NOT a fibonacci number. Here’s the math- 1.618/square root is 1.27 and 1/1.27 = .786.
so … as you can see, we have a bunch of NUMBERS adding up to this being a big level for Palladium. And, while a case can be made that, since these are weekly/monthly nodes coming out, it SHOULD be a hefty amount of resistance. That being said, it could also BLOW RIGHT THRU EM’ and rip higher and higher. It’s just a pattern folks.
Last – the BUTTERFLY PATTERN is present. Connect two triangles together and that’s the butterfly pattern …
put it all together and here is the picture:
here’s a potential count — note – 4 doesn’t CLOSE below 1 so I say “go for it” w/ regard to the count. Additionally, alternate targets provided at little higher. Sure seems like it wants to head up that way … ?
last thing we check is the “relative strength” using ratio analysis. in this case we have PALLADIUM / GOLD. When we overlay Gold on top of the ration there isn’t that big of a correlation. HOWEVER, when Palladium is overlaid (see below) we can see that this ratio is extremely important. And, what do we have on the ratio – a SELL PATTERN appearing, which, in the past, has caused Palladium to inflect. Stay tuned.
So, there you have it … watch this important relationship, closely next week.